JUST ANOTHER DAY...BUT NOT, REALLY

     Today, one week away from another year. Will the six year mark be harder, easier, or different in some measurable way from the last five death-iversary dates? Perhaps I will be swooped by hawks, covered in double rainbows, swarmed by beautiful butterflies, and see #34 in new and unusual places. Perhaps there will be none of those things, but Robbie will still be with me despite being gone.


     Recently at Mason's Spring Fling, I was moving past a table when I noticed my novel, They Said She Was Crazy, on a table next to a sign that said 'Books that I Recommend.' Obviously, I stopped, commented, and took a picture. 'ORACLE' the booth stated, and when I looked closer noticed a woman in the midst of reading another woman's cards. She was familiar, but not well known to me.
     As my brain searched for the connection, she looked up, smiled at me and said:

"Oh! You! I knew I was going to see you here today! Robbie told me I would be talking to you."

     Yep. 'Robbie said'. And there I was; crying, my amazing husband leading me to sit in a chair and wait to speak to BeBe. What she told me was nothing I didn't already know, but such a welcome and unexpected reminder of how much my son connects with people here in my small town.


     
     Over the last two weeks I have unexpectedly and rather miraculously run into many numerous former students, received surprising emails from strangers, and had the honor of speaking to teens about the power of our stories. Again, I'm sure these meetings are my sweet boy, making sure I'm okay, that I am reminded in this most anxious time of the year for me, that my emotions are not wasted, that we all matter in this chain of love and life.

     Remember, that your words have the power to change the world...whether it's one person's world, your community's, or a nation's. Be kind. Notice. Interact. Challenge depression. Engage. We can never know what others are carrying. Let your words be the difference. 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Just a Blue Hat

ONLY ONE MORE DAY

Letting that Sh*t GO!