Happily Ever After, Minus the Glass Slipper

I am exhausted, but in the best possible way and for the best possible reasons. Only one month ago tomorrow, I brought home an eleven year old 14h shiny chestnut Mustang mare who was only handled since last fall by Naomi Rutter via Reality's Chance Rescue & Sanctuary. Green, green, green as far as trail riding. I let her settle in for a week, and then rode her out at Waterloo the first Sunday I had her and again the following Saturday. 

At the 3 week mark of our relationship, we hauled down to High Knob Campground deep in Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois. For Cinder's 3rd trail ride (ever, of her life), we rode over 8 miles in the challenging terrain; the next day was 9+; the next nearly 14 miles. We took Thursday off, because we BOTH needed a rest! Friday we rode almost 9 miles with my daughter, Katie, led once again by the incredible Tali. Saturday I chose not to ride, to let Cinder rest her unshod hooves and body for the eight hour haul home yesterday. When I got home and unloaded, my mare was completely chill, calm, and I almost cried when I watched as she looked out the horse window and her eyes lit up when the donkeys came to greet her from the gate. I swear, the happiness that she exuded was too obvious to miss. (Even Chad was awed). 

I left on May 16th with a pretty green trail horse. During our rides she encountered steep ascents and descents, leg sucking sloppy knee deep clay mud, caves, cliffs, doggie companions, river beds, buzzards, exhaustion (human and horse), and so much more. 

I knew after our first ride that I could trust this mare, that we were linked, partnered if you will, in ways I have never experienced before with any horse. She faced new experiences (aside from the riding) with the calm, level headedness of an experienced horse who has seen it all. She was stalled for an extended time, left alone while her buddies rode away, rode away while we left her buddies behind, rode with new horse acquaintances, spent grazing time in a grassy arena with other horses, moved through a crazy busy campground filled with thousands of 'interesting' things that would have freaked out all of my previous horses, wash racks & spray offs (she's still not loving the trickling of water on her hind legs, but by the last day she was standing still with the lead draped across her neck while I sprayed and used my hands to rub away the sweat, dirt, and mud), and more. 

There are too many stories to share in one post, but they will be here over the next weeks as I rest up and ponder how to best share my experiences.

I arrived home on May 23rd with a partner, a horse I know beyond a doubt will take care of me, look out for me, and who trusts me with her life, too. 

Cinderella and I have found our happily ever after, sans slipper and Prince Charming. She has proven herself to be a horse beyond measure, and I cannot wait to live out future adventures with my little Mustang mare beneath me and beside me.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Just a Blue Hat

ONLY ONE MORE DAY

Letting that Sh*t GO!